Sample Pages Preview
Street-across Building of Guanyin Temple
Located at the cross of Guancaiyuan Upper Street and Zixin Road in Xicheng District, the Street-across Building of Guanyin Temple is in urban architectural style of Qing Dynasty.The horizontal inscribed brick-carving boards on the south and north sides of the building were engraved with "jin Sheng (gold rope)" and "Jue An (aware of the shore)' respectively in 1830 (10th year of Emperor Daoguang's reign, Qing Dynasty).It used to be the only route to the No.1 Prison of the Capital City in early years.Its usage in the old time is similar to the overpass in the modern time, a main street linking the east and west parts of the temple.It was demolished in 1998.
The Former Site of the Japanese Embassy
The former site of the Japanese Embassy is located at No.2 Zhengyi Road.Before 1900 (26th year of Emperor Guangxu's reign, Qing Dynasty),the old Japanese Legation was located at the north of Jiangmixiang Road.After the Boxer Protocol was signed on September 7, 1901, with the excuse that the site where the old one was situated was narrow and small, the Japanese seized the chance to force the Qing Government to requisition the properties on the west of the old Japanese Legation,including the office building of the Household Administration of the Heir Apparent, the Mansion of Prince Su and some residential dwellings,though the old legation had not been damaged during the siege by Yi Ho Tuan (the Boxers).The main building and entrance gate remain intact today.The facade of the main building is in European classical style.